Every student that is interested in applying for financial aid consideration must have a complete financial aid application in order for our staff to calculate your financial aid eligibility. The FAFSA is required to apply for federal financial aid. The CSS Profile is required to apply for institutional financial aid. Both applications will be based upon information from prior-prior year's federal tax returns (or equivalent for non-US tax filers) and the current value of household assets (cash/checking, net worth of investments, real estate, business, etc.).
Financial Aid Application Deadlines
- Early Decision I: November 15
- QuestBridge National College Match: November 1
- Posse Scholar: November 15
- Early Decision II: January 15
- Regular Decision: January 15
- Transfer Students: March 1
Every student must reapply for financial aid for each upcoming academic year, including: domestic, international, undocumented and DACAmented students as well as students admitted to Pomona through the QuestBridge National College Match and Posse Scholar programs. Log into your FINAID47 account on the Student Portal to view your Financial Aid Document Checklist to download forms, review missing items, and to check on the status of materials submitted.
- Renewal Deadline: April 15
Financial Aid Application Materials
FAFSA: Available Online October 1
- U.S. Citizens and eligible non-U.S. Citizens must complete the FAFSA to be considered for federal and state aid programs.
- The FAFSA is required for students that are only interested in applying for an Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan or the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan.
- In some cases, private scholarship organizations require students to have completed a FAFSA.
CSS Profile: Available Online October 1
- Apply online using school code 4607
- All students are required to submit the CSS Profile to be considered for institutional financial assistance. Students must complete the entire application to determine whether a waiver will be granted for the application fee. Students who fit the following criteria and who did not receive a waiver from the CollegeBoard should contact the Office Financial Aid for further guidance:
- Must be able to file a FAFSA
- Have a total parent income of less than $40,000
- Should have assets of less than $50,000, including the primary home
- For students with biological parents that live in separate households, a CSS Profile is required for each parent's household.
- Students may request to have their non-custodial biological parent waived from their financial aid application by uploading the CollegeBoard's waiver request form and supporting documentation through IDOC.
Tax Documents: Upload through IDOC after completing the CSS Profile
- Access to IDOC is granted by the CollegeBoard 1 to 2 business days after completing the CSS Profile
- Upload through IDOC the prior-prior year's Federal Tax Returns, Forms W-2 and schedules used to file the Federal Tax Return.
- Individuals that have filed an amendment to their federal tax return must upload the Form 1040X
- For individuals that own a business or a percentage of a business, we ask to receive the prior-prior year's tax documents for each business: Form 1120, Form 1120S, Form 1065, Schedule K-1
- Documents are time-stamped when uploaded through IDOC, but will generally take about 5 to 7 business days before they are received by Pomona College
Additional Information for Financial Aid Applicants
- International applicants from Iran and North Korea must submit the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA) because they are unable to complete the Profile or submit payment by credit card.
- Upload through IDOC a translated copy of prior-prior year's income tax document or earnings statements. Additional information for international applicants can be found on our International Student page.
California residents are expected to apply for the California State Grant by submitting their FAFSA or CA DREAM Act Application no later than March 2nd. High School counselors will submit your GPA information on your behalf as part of this process.
DACA students and undocumented students who will graduate from a California high school and meet the eligibility requirements from AB540 may apply for the state grant through the California Dream Act Application, even though you are not eligible to apply for federal financial aid.
Undocumented and DACAmented Students
Pomona College is committed to providing need-blind admission and need-based financial aid for undocumented and DACAmented students. These students are considered to be domestic student applicants by the Offices of Admissions and Financial Aid.
Undocumented and DACAmented students may complete the CSS Profile, upload tax documents through IDOC, and if eligible, apply for the CA DREAM Act Application, in order to apply for financial aid at Pomona College.
Visit the Office of Admissions page for more information about Pomona's commitment to admitting students regardless of citizenship status and resources.
Veteran Students and Dependents of Veterans
Pomona College is grateful for the service of our veteran students and the veteran parents of our students. In honoring their service and commitment to our country, we are proud to partner with the Department of Veterans Affairs to support veterans and their beneficiaries. VA Educational benefits can be used as a component of your financial aid package.
If you are only intending to use your VA educational benefits and are not applying for financial aid consideration, submit your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA to our office.
Please visit the VA for more information about your educational benefits.
Request for Appeal due to a Change in Circumstances
Families facing severe financial problems due to recent loss of income, extraordinarily high medical expenses, or business declines may complete and submit the below Change in Circumstances and Income and Expense Forms, and provide any pertinent supporting documentation. This may include, but is not limited to, a letter of termination from an employer, more recent tax forms reflecting reduced personal and/or business income, receipts, etc. Include any documentation that you feel provides our office the best understanding of your family's current situation.