Divorced or Separated Parents

Because parental responsibility for educational costs does not cease upon divorce or separation, Pomona College expects that both natural parents -- even when divorced or separated -- will provide funds for educational expenses based on their ability to contribute from their income and assets. The College expects that both parents will submit financial information and provide assistance for the student's college expenses based on their ability, rather than their willingness, to contribute.

Who Qualifies as the Custodial Parent?

The FAFSA defines the custodial parent as the parent with whom the student resided for the greater portion of the twelve months preceding the date of completing the FAFSA.  If the student did not live with one parent more than the other, provide information about the parent who provided more financial support during the past twelve months. If this parent is remarried as of the date you file the FAFSA, provide information about that parent and stepparent.

Noncustodial Parents

Applicants who report on the CSS Profile that their biological or adoptive parents are separated, divorced or were never married and are not living together, will receive an email from the College Board requesting their non-custodial parent complete the electronic Non-Custodial Parent Profile.

Requests to Waive Non-Custodial Parent Information

In a limited number of special cases, the following criteria are considered to evaluate requests to waive/reduce the requirements for non-custodial parent information.

Meeting one or more of these criteria does not automatically qualify students for a waiver; a combination of these criteria must be present for Pomona to consider waiving the requirement. Independent third party documentation is required to support requests for waivers. The criteria considered in the combination are:

  • Whether the non-custodial parent can be located. If not, documentation of unsuccessful attempts to contact the non-custodial parent is required to support a request for waiver, e.g., copies of court records or requests for assistance from state or local government agencies;
  • Whether the non-custodial parent has made child support payment. If not, a statement to that effect and/or documentation of unsuccessful attempts to obtain child support payments is required to support a request for waiver;
  • Whether the divorce or separation took place so long ago that it is unreasonable to expect a contribution from the non-custodial parent. If the divorce or separation took place more than 10 years ago, and if other criteria for waiver are met (e.g., lack of child support payments), it is possible that the requirement for non-custodial parent information will be waived.

To request a non-custodial parent waiver, please submit a completed waiver request form along with supporting documentation to our office.

Noncustodial Parent Waiver Request

Completion of a non-custodial waiver request does not automatically waive the non-custodial parent contribution.