The Financial Aid Office serves as the dedicated site for our student veterans and military-connected students to gather information about benefits and supplemental financial aid support. It is responsible for the administration of all US Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits processing and is dedicated to making the process as smooth as possible. We are the central place for veteran's resources and certifying processing.
Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. in Sumner Hall.
VA Education Benefits Programs
- Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill
- Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
- Chapter 32 – VEAP (Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program)
- Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 35 – Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program
- Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserve
- Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Pomona College Yellow Ribbon Program
What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, also known as the Post-9/11 GI Bill or Chapter 33. The Yellow Ribbon Program allows institutions of higher learning to enter into a voluntary agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs to contribute funds to a veteran's unmet tuition and fee charges when their tuition and fees charges exceed the amount payable under Chapter 33.
Only 100% maximum benefited rate under Chapter 33 is eligible for this funding. The Yellow Ribbon Program is not available for an active service member and spouse of an active service member.
Pomona College provides $5000 per for the Yellow Ribbon scholarship which is matched 100% by the Veterans’ Administration.
Ahmanson Foundation Veteran’s Scholarship
The Pomona College Ahmanson Foundation Veteran’s Scholarship (AFVS) is intended to assist undergraduate students that are Post 9/11 VA fund recipients who are pursuing a degree, and who demonstrate financial need. The award is not exclusive to tuition charges and can be used toward other educationally related expenses. This need based fund, which supports the College’s goal of access and affordability, is only available to a student who is a veteran and qualifies for need based aid beyond the amount the VA benefits would cover. There is no separate application for this scholarship. Students who are eligible to receive need based aid will be awarded this fund as part of the financial aid package.
All scholarship recipients must demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and be enrolled in courses that are applicable to their degree program. Scholarship recipients may be asked to submit a written note of thanks to the Ahmanson Foundation as part of their scholarship requirements.
Student Application Policy/Procedures for the Yellow Ribbon Program:
- Students should determine eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Yellow Ribbon Program Information website.
- Students should apply, if they are eligible, for education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Students should apply for and receive confirmation of admission to Pomona. Students should be sure to make an informed decision concerning their choice of Post-9/11 GI Bill. It is our understanding that there are typically more than one educational benefit choices for individuals with military experience. It is also our understanding that once selected, benefit choices are irrevocable. For information on benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.
- Eligible students, after receiving an offer admission from Pomona College, should fill out the Request for Participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program form [pdf] and, if available, attach their Certificate of Eligibility. Pomona processes the Request for Participation forms on a first-come, first-served basis. Students may scan and e-mail, or fax this form to the Financial Aid Office.
- Eligible students must complete the Step 4 (above) and submit confirmation of their eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. Confirmation of eligibility may be in the form of a U.S. Department of Veteran Services Certificate of Eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Failure to submit this confirmation in a timely manner will result in the student's removal from the Yellow Ribbon Program participation list.