Pomona is a great destination for students with strong academic passions who want to do something meaningful with their lives. Our west coast location appeals to those with daring minds and adventurous spirits. Our broad curriculum and participation in a consortium of five undergraduate colleges give our students incredible options: roughly 2,700 classes, 48 majors, over 200 clubs and organizations, 7 dining halls and an environment rich with diverse cultures and environmental variety (ocean, mountains and deserts all within an hour). We welcome applications from students who want to join a collaborative and creative community, and we look forward to learning about your goals, your ideas and your developing self through reading your application.
Our Application Review Process
We evaluate applications holistically, taking into account:
- Courses you've elected to take, given what is offered at your school. If you attend a school that doesn’t offer advanced course options, you will not be at a disadvantage in the admissions process.
- Rigor of your curriculum, which may include honors, International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement or community college courses.
- Record of academic aptitude and achievement as reported on your transcript(s).
- Essays that help us understand you as a person. We look not just for strong writing, but for individual voice, passion and thoughtfulness.
- Counselor and teacher recommendations that help us understand how you might fit in the Pomona community, both in and out of the classroom.
- Evidence of:
- Investment and involvement in a community or passionate pursuit
- A love for learning, and a willingness to challenge yourself and go outside your "comfort zone"
- An openness to new ideas and rejection of easy answers
- An appreciation for a collaborative learning environment
- Personal character — be it grit, kindness, diligence or serving others
- Risk-taking and adventurousness
- Creativity and innovation
- Appreciation for the visual and/or performing arts
High School Preparation
We do not have admission requirements, but we do recommend that applicants follow these guidelines to best prepare for Pomona’s curriculum:
- Four to five academic subjects for each term in 10th, 11th and 12th grades
- Four years of English
- Four years of natural science, two of which should be lab science
- Three years of a foreign language
- Two years of social science (three recommended)
- Four years of mathematics (including calculus for students interested in STEM field majors)
In addition, we are interested in applicants who have had some sustained engagement with the creative and performing arts, i.e. dance, drama, vocal or instrumental music, or visual arts. For students with talent in one or more of these areas, we encourage the submission of an online arts supplement.
If you've been home-schooled, or have attended foreign high schools or pursued a unique education, contact us about submitting other evidence of your academic preparation for college.
In addition to the College-wide policy, the Office of Admissions maintains its own policy with regard to student privacy.